What is the do-do bird?

I'm not English but I'm reading an English book about endangered languages for a university exam. I've read a sentence where it is said that today languages have been disappearing like the do-do bird. In few words, can you explain to me what exactly the do-do bird is, please?

Thank you very much.

7 risposte

Pertinenza
  • 1 decennio fa
    Risposta preferita

The Dodo bird was from the Island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.

The tragedy of the dodo highlights the potential effects mankind can have upon the environment, and the ease with which humanity can disrupt the delicate balance of an ecosystem by eradicating whole species. As one of the earliest examples of modern ecovandalism, the impact of the Portuguese sailors on Mauritius not only wiped out the famous dodo, but further disrupted nature in unexpected ways.

ps. it was a funny looking bird.. you can always google image it

Fonte/i: :D
  • 1 decennio fa

The dodo (Raphus cucullatus) was a flightless bird endemic to the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius. Related to pigeons and doves, it stood about a meter (3 feet) tall, weighing about 20 kilograms (44 lb), living on fruit and nesting on the ground.

The dodo has been extinct since the mid-to-late 17th century.[1] It is commonly used as the archetype of an extinct species because its extinction occurred during recorded human history, and was directly attributable to human activity.

• Anonimo
    1 decennio fa

Dodo bird...you can search this, but it's an extinct bird from the Pacific islands near Asia or Australia....somewhere in that general part of the world.

• Anonimo
    1 decennio fa

The Dodo was a flightless bird that lived on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. When the first settlers arrived in the 16th century it was quickly hunted to extinction as it showed no fear of man.

There is an English expression "as dead as a Dodo".

It simply means "extinct" or "gone forever"

• Che ne pensi delle risposte? Puoi accedere per votare la risposta.
  • Anonimo
    1 decennio fa

Yes, they killed them all to make cute clothing for people like you.

Honestly, the do-do bird went extinct because it was hunted for it it's brightly colored feathers.

Now, the connection. Because the do-do bird went extinct, a plant species is endangered because in order for it's seeds to germinate, they had to pass through the do do birds system.

When a language goes extinct, it's harder to translate it, and because of that, it's harder to translate other languages and truly understand them.

• Anonimo
    1 decennio fa

A bird that messes up your car?

• 1 decennio fa

extinct

Altre domande? Fai una domanda e ottieni le risposte che cerchi.